Thursday, April 17, 2008

Reason No. 919 Why I Love The Onion


What would life be like without The Onion? Oh, wait, I know the answer to that. It would be just as absurd as it is now, only not intentionally so.

When you’re done enjoying the above clip, I highly recommend this print piece from a month back. It has nothing whatsoever to do with movies – I mean, other than the fact that the author guest-starred in my favorite Bill Murray movie – but it makes me laugh.

As for the latest Iron Man trailer – the real trailer – it’s a groaner for me. Part of the problem is that I’m not a comic book fanboy, so Iron Man is just yet another dude in a funny outfit saving the world. (And Robert Downey Jr. as an ass-kicker? Really?)

The part that annoys me though comes at the end of the preview, when the crimson C-3PO fires a rocket at a tank and then does the turn-around-and-walk-away-because-I’m-too-cool-to-watch-or-flinch-at-the-explosion bit. Is it just me, or has that become totally lame? I’d go so far as to say that move has jumped the shark, but nothing is as lame as arguing about when or if things have jumped the shark. So let’s just stick to debating lameness, okay?

(Oh, and here’s the original trailer – the one examined by The Onion – in case you care.)

2 comments:

Richard Bellamy said...

Uh, maybe I'm being dumb here - but isn't the trailer already expanded into a feature-length film - i.e. the MOVIE!?

Jason Bellamy said...

Hokahey: Yes, that's the joke. It's satire. More of a comment on the idiocy of TV news than anything.

"That just doesn't sound like it would work." That's the joke.