Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Conversations: Lawrence of Arabia


I’m pleased to announce that a new edition of The Conversations is live at The House Next Door. This time around, Ed Howard and I take on an established classic, David Lean’s Lawrence of Arabia. Over the course of our conversation, Ed and I look at the ways the film is and isn’t a traditional epic, discuss the effect of the brownface performances, interpret the sexuality of the main character and try to decipher the film’s lasting political statement.

This post wraps up a year’s worth of The Conversations. I’ve enjoyed the heck out of this experience, and I hope you have too because Ed and I have already begun plotting the initial months of 2010, which will include a surprise. Many thanks to Ed, to Keith Uhlich at The House Next Door who approached us for this project (and edits our not-short debates) and to all of the readers and commenters. These conversations have made me a better moviegoer. I'm grateful for that.

As usual, Ed and I hope that our latest discussion leads to an even larger conversation among readers, so head on over to The House Next Door and join the conversation about Lawrence of Arabia.

Previous Editions of The Conversations:

David Fincher (January 2009)
Mulholland Dr. (February 2009)
Overlooked - Part I: Undertow (March 2009)
Overlooked - Part II: Solaris (March 2009)
Star Trek (May 2009)
Werner Herzog (May 2009)
Errol Morris (July 2009)
Michael Mann (August 2009)
Quentin Tarantino - Part I (August 2009)
Quentin Tarantino - Part II (September 2009)
Pixar (WALL-E) (October 2009)
Trouble Every Day (October 2009)