Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Conversations: Darren Aronofsky (Part I)


For the third time this month (making up for a late summer lull), there's a new edition of The Conversations at The House Next Door. In this installment, Ed Howard and I discuss the first four films of Darren Aronofsky: Pi (1998), Requiem for a Dream (2000), The Fountain (2006) and The Wrestler (2008). This should get everyone ready for Black Swan, which comes out December 3. Ed and I will be swinging back with a Part II of this discussion in mid-December to provide our reaction to that film.

As I argue in Part I, Aronofsky is at an interesting point of his career, with enough similarity among his first four pictures to be able to note some of his signature techniques and themes, but also with enough diversity to make Black Swan an enticing mystery. (Note: I've avoided the film's trailers.) As I say in the piece, Aronofsky is interesting in that he's made polarizing films without, so far as I can tell, being seen as a polarizing filmmaker. Do people have strong opinions about Aronofsky? Perhaps we'll find out. It's been a while since the comments section on one of these pieces got lively, but maybe Aronofsky will cure that. So, if you have thoughts to share, please head on over to the House and jump in!

Click here for an archive of The Conversations.

No comments: