Monday, January 10, 2011

SLIFR Movie Tree House


It was only a few weeks ago that I was coming home from a movie and spotted, through the leafless tree branches of winter, a majestic tree house. Built out of the back of someone’s property, and accessible by a wooden bridge, the tree house stood tall over unsettled property – a sloping expanse that led down toward the road. Complete with shingles and even a skylight, it was a luxury tree house if I ever saw one, enviable at any age, and the sight of it brought me back to my youth, when I had a fort built against a fence and rope ladder climbing into a tall tree, but no tree house. I always wanted a tree house.

Now I have one. Or, more specifically, now Dennis Cozzalio of Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule (SLIFR) has one, and he’s invited me to come over and play. This week I’m honored to take part in the “SLIFR Movie Tree House,” a Slate-esque online gathering spot that will bring together me, Dennis, Jim Emerson of Scanners and Sheila O’Malley of The Sheila Variations for discussions about the 2010 year in film (and maybe a pillow fight or two). Entries will be posted throughout the week, here and there, so head on over to SLIFR, follow along and comment away. There’s no secret password to get into the tree house. At least that’s what they told me.

Updated with links to all posts, after the jump.

Introductions (Cozzalio)

Is There Anything Good Playing This Weekend? (Emerson)

A Blue Valentine to the Personal (O'Malley)

The Bellamy Awards and Different Ways of Looking at Movies (Bellamy)

So Much to See, So Little Time (Cozzalio)

Human Sexuality and Annette's Eyewear (Emerson)

Moments to Remember (Bellamy)

Actor-Nerd Sounds Off (Eloquently)! (O'Malley)

Won't You Please Give It Up For Emma Stone and the Actresses of 2010! (Cozzalio)

Those Sublime Sheep and That Silly Swan (Emerson)

Tilda Swinton Is Freakin' Great (O'Malley)

Youth Not Wasted On the Young (Bellamy)

Postscript to a Wonderful Week (Cozzalio)

1 comment:

Sheila O'Malley said...

That was fun! Going to miss talking with you guys this week.