Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Conversations: Alexander Payne


I have a backlog of 2011 reviews in me that I'll need to attack in early 2012, but I'm pleased to close out the year with The Conversations: Alexander Payne, which is now live at The House Next Door. In this edition, Ed Howard and I discuss the writer/director's five feature films, from Citizen Ruth to The Descendants, and his short from Paris Je T'Aime. Along the way, we regularly engage with Payne's reputation for condescension, finding evidence that it fits and yet is often misapplied. Payne's films don't overwhelm me, but they offer much to discuss. If you're killing time before the ball drops tonight or find yourself recovering from a night of excitement tomorrow, please head over to The House Next Door and join the discussion.

Click here for an archive of The Conversations.

No comments: